Theosophy in Wales
Ancient & Modern
History of the Theosophical
Society in Wales
Mr Morgan Edward Thomas
First Theosophist in Wales 1889
Mr Morgan Edward Thomas of 18
Park Place, Merthyr
Tydfil became a member of the British section of the
Theosophical Society on May 21st
1889. His membership diploma was signed by H P Blavatsky.
For many years he promoted Theosophy in Merthyr and district at the head of the
South Wales industrial valleys by means of
his personal library which he bequeathed to the Theosophical Society on his
death in 1920. He is known to have introduced many people to Theosophy.
Colonel Henry Steel Olcott mentions in Old Diary Leaves that he
lectured in Wales at
Merthyr and Tenby at the end of the 19th century and that Mr Thomas
arranged the lectures. It is known that Colonel Olcott with Mr W R Old and the
Honourable Mrs Malcolm visited Merthyr and Tenby on October 2nd 1889.
W R (Walter) Old joined the British section in London in 1889, was
a founder member of the Esoteric Section and was present at the death of H P
Theosophical Society, Cardiff Lodge,
206 Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 – 1DL.